What is Optimism? It is an approach to life knowing that you will be able to handle whatever situation comes your way or allowing yourself to focus on the most hopeful aspects of a situation. When using a negative way of thinking it can be like looking at life through a funnel. You focus in on narrow areas that increase stress, seem to create blockages from what will help you feel better, feel anxious and strained and often need to soothe quickly which can lead to destructive or impulsive decisions. Changing your thinking can boost your immune system, shift depression, decrease anxiety, allow you to fuel your body, promote your potential, and bring you joy. Recognize that you have the ability to change your thoughts, feelings and behaviors and can flip a negative viewpoint or negative self- talk to the positive, therefore reducing the need for destructive behaviors.
To help shift your way of thinking try thinking of these every morning…
- One thing you like about yourself.
- One accomplishment from yesterday.
- One person in your life you are grateful for.
- One thing you look forward to.
- One positive thing about your personality.
- Take 3 mindful breaths, deep in your center not in your chest, stay positive, enjoy the day, life is beautiful.